DonkeyHody

Default Beware of Unwinding Router!

Update:
I put a surface-mount box on the front of my router table with a 20
amp rated switch that controls the receptacle the router is plugged
into. Then I went to Home Depot and found a clear plastic hinged dome
to cover the switch. It's really meant for outdoor locations to
rainproof a receptacle while cords are plugged into it. I cut an
oblong hole in the center of the dome so you can stick a finger inside
to flick the switch without having to open the cover. There's no way
to accidently bump the switch because it's completely protected by the
dome. I'm not suggesting anyone else should take this route because
the owner's manual clearly states that you should always unplug the
router before you change bits or adjust the height. But I found the
protected switch to be just the right balance of safety and
convenience - for me. It's much easier to find than the switch on the
router because it's always in the same place. I don't have to grope
around under the router, feeling for a switch that moves to a new
location every time I adjust the bit height. And I feel safe enough
with the protected switch without unplugging each time.

DonkeyHody

" We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom
that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down
on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid
again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold
one anymore." - Mark Twain

(DonkeyHody) wrote in message om...
I have a Porter Cable 7518 3 1/4 router mounted in my table. Sweet
machine. Last night I had just changed bits and was raising the bit
to final height when I accidently hit the On switch. Even with the
soft-start feature, the starting torque wrenched the motor from my
hands and started unscrewing it from the base. And it happened FAST.
I just managed to stop it before it came free of the base and fell to
the floor with a spinning bit. I shudder to think of the
possibilities. Now I know why they say always UNPLUG the tool before
making adjustments. But how many of us really do that? Unplugging is
a hassle, but I'll at least install a switch in the incoming line that
I can turn off.

DonkeyHody