Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_3_] Lee Michaels[_3_] is offline

Default wedges/shims

"Doug Miller" wrote

Got a bandsaw? That's how I make mine, with this simple jig:

http://milmac.com/ShopPhotos/TaperedShimJig.jpg

Approximate dimensions:
Front to back 8-1/4"
Left to right at the end with the stop: 4-3/4"
Left to right at the other end: 5-1/16"

There's nothing magic about the specific dimensions, I just happened to
have a piece of
scrap 5-1/16 x 8-1/4" when I made this. The only really important
dimensions are the length
(needs to be approximately the same length as the length of shims you want
to make) and the
difference in width between the front and rear ends (needs to be about
1/4" to 5/16" to get the
proper taper on an 8" shim).

I like it. I particularly like the complete instructions written on the jig
itself. Nothing to remember or get confused about. It is all there, in
plain view. I have written things on jigs before, but not in that complete
detail. Good job there Doug.