Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 05:52:44 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Idears?? Opinions?

Here's my idea. Check this
http://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdispla...rum&order=desc

Hundreds of thousands of posts by Chevy Volt owners. You'll get info
from those who actually know about the car.
There's probably Leaf and Tesla forums too.

Here's my opinion. Consider car cost, gasoline cost, electricity
cost, and your daily miles driven, then figure out if you want the
car.
With the tax credit, the Volt is less than $1000 over median price
paid for new cars in the U.S.
With my daily commute, and other driving - except vacation - I'd
probably visit a gas station once a year And my electric rates are
really low. That's all sweet.
I could use the Volt for my yearly vacations and get about 37mpg with
no charges from a cord. But I would probably rent a car instead.
People do drive the Volt cross country, but I'd prefer to keep engine
hours low. Might be wrong about it, but it seems to me that running
the engine constantly is against design intent.
I'd love to have one. Not caring about gasoline price is sweet.
But I'm a car cheapskate. Fix my own, and never paid more than $6k
for a car. If I felt I had the money to pay $30k for a car, as many
people do, I'd buy a Volt.