Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default dirt and tree question

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 23:28:07 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:12:26 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:14:01 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 18:57:57 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:47:42 -0500, micky
wrote:

Of course it's an oak tree and theyr'e supposed to live a long time

This Oak is 329+ years old.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDX1_hGepQc

Thanks. So it doesn't mean a thing that my triee is maybe 83 years
old. So I still wonder, Was there any point in digging that hole
ar0ound the tree?

No. No reason what so ever on a healthy Oak tree.

Wait a second Oren!. I just noticed your answer to the OP in this
thread:

&Note fungus daNote fungus danger zone:
&
&Oaks prefer to drain water away. Keeping the trunk soaked (flower
bed)
&from frequent water is not good for the tree. Oaks I'm familiar with
&prefer good drainage, even allowed to dry out near the crown of the
&trunk. Some oaks have roots above ground also.Many oaks do best in
&sandy soil.
&
&http://www.rctlma.org/planning/content/devproc/guidelines/oak_trees/oaktree.jpg

Your quote is torn, but I left it in.

I thought this was also an answer to my post, and then I saw that the
same person, you, had replied to my post. Maybe there were signs
of too much water that my mother and I didnt' notice, or maybe not but
the gardener had seen such signs in another tree not too far way.

Ya never see an Oak growing in a "swamp". Higher, drier ground, yes.
Like many pine trees in the south. Oaks do live on the banks of rivers
and have plenty of water available.

Maybe he was overdoing it -- it didn't have to be that deep -- but
this was 1956 and maybe he was thinking too much is safer than too
little.

In 1956 many folks thought you could not transplant an Oak tree. I
did. In the 1970's the method was better known. For a rather large
oak it could take six months to root prune the tree. This gave it time
to recover when roots were pruned in a half moon approach (cut roots
on one side halfway around and the other half six months later)
Transplant then.

I know this post is late. I would have emailed you too but I see your
address. ;-)

It would get to your router :-\