Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default [OT] Second Ammendment Question

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:57:27 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 11:10:21 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

snip

Then you need a way to discourage straw purchases. That's the largest
single source of guns used in crimes, according to the FBI.

Ah..not true. Theft via burglary is the largest single source.
Strawman purchases are in the mix..but its smaller.

Many "thefts via bulglary" are actually straw purchases, as one FBI
agent expained a few years ago. When the last legal owner is asked how
he disposed of his gun, he just says it was stolen from his home. Then
he pays no consequences.

That's why we need a law requiring the securing of a gun, with
liability if you allow it to be stolen (as in either Israel or
Switzerland, I forget which), and a requirement that you report a
theft within a very short period (24 hours in Switzerland).

That's part of how you make straw purchasing a very risky business.

Its not the purchase thats illegal. Its the purchaser giving it to a
non legal holder thats illegal. So go after the illegal giving.

See above.

Thats the right way, Comrade.

In a lot of urban areas...criminals simply rent a gun from one of
their suppliers. Or go and steal one from another criminal or a
legal owner. When they commit a murder with it..it goes into the
river..or a gun buyback.

Once it's into the market of criminals, all bets are off. That's why
we have to keep it from getting there in the first place.

--
Ed Huntress