Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default TOT - if the lied about the beef being horse meat.......

"Windmill" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" writes:

Arfa Daily wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Liquorice wrote
Mark wrote

I agree there are some sites that are trustworthy.
However, take NHS direct, for example. It is so dumbed
down and simplified it's pretty much useless IMHO.

By heck it is. I don't look at it very often, if at all, but some
one posted a link elsewhere. That page was awful, any word
that was even vaugely "difficult" had a simple explanation
in brackets after it. Things like "incision (small cut)". Made
reading the information very much harder that it should be.

Makes you wonder why they use the word
incison rather than small cut, any ideas ?

They stupidly believe it reads better.

Same reason cops use fancy words when giving evidence in court.

This a web page FFS! Link the "difficult" words to a glossary
entry or is clicking a word to "difficult" as well? If so have a
the text that would be in the brackets appear in a float over
box. Don't disrupt the flow of the text.

Maybe it's because difernt browswers
show things in slightly differtn ways.

And it isnt obvious to everyone that they can get that effect
with words they arent sure of. Makes no sense to use a word
like incision with stuff that's sposed to be read by the general
public on a site like that.

I'm actually having a real problem with the concept that the world
is now so dumb as to have difficulty with a word like "incision" ...

I'm not convinced that there weren't always some that ignorant.

It wasn't that long ago that some kids managed to
leave school without being able to read. You don't
see that much anymore and those might now be
reading sites like that at times tho not very often IMO.

To slightly change the subject, ISTM that with all these yobs using
their mobiles to text each other, in future nearly everyone is going to
be able to read and write.
There might be some question about the language(s) which will evolve
(Txtish? Txtese?), but they will be able to communicate in writing.

There was a wonderful bit in the second (?) episode of "Derek" where a young
girl had to go and do community service at the home. The boss asked her if
she read. "Oh yes" she says. "And what sort of stuff do you read ?" asks the
boss. "Twitter" replies the girl ...

Well, I cracked up. A lot of people have panned that programme as being
insensitive and cruel, and I must admit I wasn't sure after the first one,
but I stuck with it, and I now think that it is one of the most brilliantly
observed pieces of writing that I have ever seen, and although I don't much
like Ricky Gervaise, I think he's to be commended on this one ...

Arfa