Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default cable routing question and wiring regs.

Tim Watts wrote:
On Sunday 24 February 2013 04:44 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tim Watts wrote:
On Friday 22 February 2013 23:20 Andy Wade wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 22/02/2013 09:36, Tim Watts wrote:

[safe zones, 150 mm etc.]
That's internal corners only

Uh? How does "... or within 150 mm of an angle formed by two
adjoining walls or partitions" [1] rule out external corners?

[1] BS 7671 reg. 522.6.6

Probably because that's how the diagrams I've seen present it -
I've not bothered to actually check the wording.

I shall do so tomorrow and double check the On Site Guide.

The OSG gives no further info.

John Rumm updated

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...lectric_cables

last year to show external corners after we had discussed the
external wall angles/corners issue. We did take guidance from a
registered body before John drew the picture.

OK - That's interesting - thank you.

I may be remembering back to a diagram in one of John Whitfield's
Pocket guides - which would have been an earlier edition.

Personally, I'm not hugely keen on either corner route as the average
person has enough trouble not banging a picture hook in directly
inline with an accessory - but there you go.

I did a job a couple of weeks ago. The guy had tried to fit a battery
powered smoke alarm on the landing. Of all the places to fit the alarm he
decided to fit it just under the CU (the CU was close up to the ceiling).

Christ knows why he he tried to fit it there as mounting it on the ceiling
would not have needed the drill or the renewal of the cable he destroyed:-)

--
Adam