Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default [OT] Second Ammendment Question

Larry Jaques on Sat, 23 Feb 2013
19:40:30 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 21:25:06 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Actually, to be constitutional, all that is required is that the
electors be chused according to State Law. By Popular vote of the
people is one way. Having Candidate Electors draw cards is another.
A hokey pokey Marathon. First N people out of the Church, Bar or
Ballpark is another. Lottery. Appointment by the Governor or State
Legislature.

Or a state might follow a similar pattern as Venice used to elect
the Doge.
Thirty members of the Great Council, chosen by lot, were reduced
by lot to nine;
The nine chose forty and the forty were reduced by lot to twelve,
The twelve chose twenty-five.
The twenty-five were reduced by lot to nine and the nine elected
forty-five.
Then the forty-five were once more reduced by lot to eleven, and
the eleven finally chose the forty-one who actually elected the doge.
None could be elected but by at least twenty-five votes out of
forty-one, nine votes out of eleven or twelve, or seven votes out of
nine electors.

Now, that might be a tad unwieldy, but it minimized outside
influence. Even though I'm not sure how it might be applied to the
selecting of electors.

An unwieldy cluster, isn't it?

It'd sure weed out lobbyist infiltration, wouldn't it?
Until those greasy CONgresscriters worked out how to get around it.

True, but we're just selecting the electors for the President.

Congress critters could have a competition, Personal Interview
with the judges, a talent performance, Evening Wear, Onstage Question
segment and the Lifestyle & Fitness in Swimsuit section.
If nothing else, we might get more photogenic Representatives.

--
pyotr filipivich