Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Vacuum cleaner principles

"Pete S" wrote in message
.. .
How about just getting one of these?

http://www.thenutwizard.com/

Pete Stanaitis

My experience SO FAR tells me that this device would work well on a yard
that has been mowed regularly, and there aren't any big clumps of grass, nor
nuts that have migrated down into the grass from being left there for very
long. At some locations, I have seen where it looks like the nuts have
never been harvested, and that would take a cleanout, and a year or two of
picking out the rest before the first clean crop would appear.

As with most items, they show them displayed in the best of light, and in
the least demanding situations.

That Mantis cultivator looks like it is tilling dirt the consistency of
sawdust. Not like the lava rock caliche where my house is. But I did talk
to a fellow who has one, and really likes it for getting into flower beds,
and places where one wants a light touch instead of the root grabbing 5
horse tillers that will kick your ass if they get the chance.

I'm going to a house the next few days that should have about two 55 gal
barrels full of them, so I should know a little more soon. Only
modification I did was put a small piece of plate where the stream comes in
and would normally hit the filter head on. I used a piece of angle, and now
everything hits the angle, and almost all hulls are knocked loose, and most
of the pecans are cleaned pretty good with just that.

Separating pecans means dumping it over a vibrating screen that looks like a
barbecue grill, and everything but the nuts falls through. A blower blows
all the light hulls and other stuff away, and you're left with clean pecans.

Wife and I were talking it over, and we may just stick with selling the
whole pecans in shell because shelling and cleaning looks to be an expensive
process. We'll see as we go. Next year, October and November will be the
start of collecting nuts. But by then, we should have some clients who will
want to sell their pecans, or even have them removed as cleanup, and pay us.
I'll have several months to play with the gear.

Steve

Next on to shelling and getting halves instead of a zillion pieces.