Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Sorta on topic - Cowboy assault rifle?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 17:04:47 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:54:26 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Richard wrote:
I'm looking for a traditional lever action .3030 saddle gun, but I
find I'm actually more impressed with the Marlin 336 compared to a
traditional Winchester 94.

It seemed like the working parts just fit together better - crisp and
clean action, and a stronger flat-top top frame.

And I like that the bolt can be removed easily for cleaning like a
breech loader...

I shoot open sights, so the ejection port and the scope mounts are
not all that important to me.
And no, I don't think I need the lever operated bayonet option.

Mostly I'd shoot 150 grain factory Winchester loads.

I wanted to ask if anyone else had any experience with either rifle.

Anything in particular to pay attention to?

Likes or dislikes.

I like my Marlin in 30/30, and the XLR in .35 Rem isn't bad either.
I use mine for deer and similar sized game.

The XLR should have Ballard rifling in it. Shoot any lead bullets?
The cartridge does shoot 357 Mag bullets nicely btw if you handload

Gunner

Yep it's had some lead through it. Both "factory" made cast and a bunch
of home cast ones. Usually 200 or 220 grain depending on which mold I
use. I've shot lead through the 30-30 as well. No problem with the
microgroove IF you cast slightly over sized and use a gas check.

And keep rifling in Microgroove down to about 1600 fps. No gas checks
needed at those velocities btw. I shoot so few gas checks Ive got
probably 15,000 on the shelves. Only use em in the .30 caliber stuff
or anything over 1900 fps, but I tend to cast hard.

The XLR has Ballard rifling, which is far mo better for lead rounds
than Microgroove is , when going over 1600 fps.

Gunner

1. Lie