Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT - if the lied about the beef being horse meat.......

harry wrote:
On Feb 22, 2:57 pm, Andy Champ wrote:
On 21/02/2013 23:44, Steve Firth wrote: wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 00:07:56 GMT, just as I was about to take a herb,
(Windmill) disturbed my reverie and
wrote:
They say that antibiotic resistance can even be spread from one type of
bacterium to another.
It is a fact, not a 'they say'.
Perhaps you could explain the mechanism of this fact?

snip

It's a fact. It's not even an obscure one, and I'm surprised you haven't
come across it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_gene_transfer

Andy

When you think, it must be so.
If bacteria multiply by division, how else could they change/evolve.?

Random mutations, which is why life was stuck at the single cell stage
for billions of years. It wasn't until a random mutation or accidental
gene transfer from prey to predator started the whole sex thing off that
evolution *really* took off.

Or so various articles in Nature, Scientific American, New Scientist and
Science et Vie claim, anyway.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.