Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default TOT - if the lied about the beef being horse meat.......

On 22/02/2013 09:05, Mark wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 18:39:59 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
DrTeeth wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 07:02:26 GMT, just as I was about to take a herb,
lid (Windmill) disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

So if doctors want to improve the chances that a course of antibiotics
will be taken to completion, it will be best to explain why rather than
relying on the doctor-is-God idea.

Do you think doctors will have the time to educate each of their
patients about antibiotic resistance? Many of the public have the
intellect of those in the Vicky Pryce jury. How would a doctor deal
with those dullards.

I'm sure you don't necessarily and automatically do everything an
expert tells you, not at least unless given reasons.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. If I go to an expert, I DO do what I am
told/advised...that is why I went to them and not to get 'educated'.

Twaddle. I expect the expert to understand that, for the most part, I'm
as intelligent as he is. And that he can take the time to translate his
jargon into layman's terms. We're talking health here, not quantum
physics. If the "expert" can't do that, it merely means he has not a
proper grasp of the subject.

And, from a practical standpoint, I am far more likely to remember the
instructions from an 'expert' if I understand the reasons for it. I'm
sure I am not alone in this.

Agreed, I much prefer to understand something in principle so that I can
answer my own questions, rather than to be told the answer on a case by
case basis.

The sensible approach is to find out from the person you are advising
what sort of answer they want. If they are not detail people, who just
wants to be told what to do, then fine. If on the other had the seeker
of advice indicates they are bright enough to understand the fuller
picture, and will be able to learn something from it, then let them have
the detail - or at least enough to deal with the particular line of
questioning.

It particularly annoys me when some types of 'expert' seem to
deliberately conceal the reasons for their advice.

Some seem to think it equates to job security... my experience suggests
the reverse, since being more open about "why" engenders more trust in
future.

--
Cheers,

John.