Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default TOT - if the lied about the beef being horse meat.......

On Feb 22, 9:18*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 23:36:17 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:
*However, take NHS direct, for example. *It is so dumbed down and
simplified it's pretty much useless IMHO.

By heck it is. I don't look at it very often, if at all, but some one
posted a link elsewhere. That page was awful, any word that was even
vaugely "difficult" had a simple explanation in brackets after it.
Things like "incision (small cut)". Made reading the information very
much harder that it should be.

This a web page FFS! Link the "difficult" words to a glossary entry or
is clicking a word to "difficult" as well? If so have a the text that
would be in the brackets appear in a float over box. Don't disrupt the
flow of the text.

People are pretty stupid these days. Eg, the Huhn business jury.

I can cope with people being poorly educated, they may well need
assistance to understand difficult words like "incision".

The problem is not stupid people but stupid "web designers" that screw up
the effective communication of information by trying to use the proper
words and have a simple english explanation inline. Have the word
explantions as links/float over pop-up boxes or drop the proper words and
do the whole thing in simple english.

I always wonder why they use the word "incision" when they could just
say "cut" and everyone would know what was meant.
Just to add to their mystique?