Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default "Measure once... and you may have to cut a bunch."

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 04:46:27 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I got a new fridge (new for us), and am quite pleased. Unloaded it into the
garage, cleaned the inside, and plugged it in. Runs like a champ.

Now it's time to swap out the 25-year old machine for its replacement.

Oops.

The old machine is snuggled quite tightly between the sink and the pantry
wall, some 30 inches.

The new machine is 33" wide!

Moan.

Looks my only palatable solution is to cut down the pantry wall! Remove 1/2"
of sheetrock and gnaw into the 2x4s by, oh, three inches.

My condolences.

My 80-year old mother was very competent. When she came here looking
for an apartment to move to, she had the dimensions of all her
furniture (She didnt' actually cut out silhouettes, I don't think)
and she found a place which took all the pieces she wanted to keep.

But when the moving van delivered the furniture, she realized that
above where the breakfront went was the main heating duct for the
apartment (wrapped in sheet rock) . She was very happy there was
still clearance, only an inch or two, but considered it a failure that
she hadnt' planned better.