Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Soldering problem - follow up

On Feb 19, 5:14*pm, wrote:
Whoever said that rosin will not work with steel was right.

I managed a couple of pieces but the results were inconsistent and
unpredictable. I went back to plumber's flux:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...in/photostream

A quick wash, do the machining right away and then wash thoroughly and
neutralize with soda bic. No rusting.

Ignore the stamping, the horrible result is only partly due to my lack
of skill. Who knew that a set of stamps for $11 would be useless?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

If you're using rosin-core solder, you're right, it's probably not
going to work, particularly if you're using a torch. There are
activated rosin soldering pastes that work well with steel parts,
particularly when used with a properly tinned soldering copper. Would
have to go with a 500 watt iron that maybe would do the job to replace
a soldering copper for large work.

Stan