Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Anyone help with laser printer and refilling toner

On 21/02/2013 21:39, ss wrote:
On 21/02/2013 20:06, GB wrote:
On 21/02/2013 19:22, ss wrote:
I just acquired this printer from a friend as I was hacked off with the
cost of ink jet carts. I knew it was low on toner but it was working
fine, anyhow I bought toner and refilled it expecting I may have to
reset it.
However when I press print the sheet goes part way into the printer and
stops, there are no error messages (its a samsung ML2240) and the
warning light for a paper jam comes on. I have checked everything and no
paper jam evident.
Could this be what happens after refilling a cartridge and it needs a
reset. I dont want to mess too much (yet) as I have never had a laser
printer before and its new territory. Tried google but not much info.

Everything was ok up to the point I refilled the toner.

By the way, are these worth refilling? I can see replacement cartridges
for £13 delivered on eBay.

Maybe not but dont want to buy in case its another issue, ideally would
want to use up the toner before I decide again.

"My guess is that you have either not put the cartridge back in
correctly or you have not assembled the cartridge correctly after
refilling it."

I dont think I have reassembled incorrectly as it can only go back
together one way, but will recheck it tomorrow. The paper feeds in and
upwards to what seems like the point where the drum is and then stops.
Now I was thinking maybe dust or whatever on that but by all accounts
from what I have read I shouldnt touch this drum.
I have had the cartridge in/out a few time so think it is seated
properly as clicks neatly in place.

No, don't touch the drum.

There's only so much you can do to solve this issue. You really need
another working printer, then swap bits round until you figure out the
problemo.

To be frank, what your friend gave you is ancient, and you can probably
pick up a new equivalent for under 50 quid.