Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default TOT - if the lied about the beef being horse meat.......

Mark wrote
Huge wrote
Mark wrote
Rod wrote
Mark wrote
alan wrote
polygonum wrote

One of the very significant effects of the internet is that patients
are now able to look things up and check them out in ways never
previously viable.

And find that in the USA commonalty available substances such
as iodine and silver will cure all know serious diseases and medical
conditions so there is no need to go to the doctor.

Don't forget the miracle cures, herbal remedies and homeopathic
'medicine'.

Looking on the Internet for medical informaion,
IMHO, is usally a bad idea.

Bull****.

Some sites are obviously fake but others are harder to tell.

Not if you have enough of a clue to work out which claims
are substantiated with proper double blind trials etc.

So, if a site claimed there were proper trials done, then you would
automatically believe it? However you are free to buy your magic
beans if you wish.

I think you'll find sites like PubMed, MedLine, NIH, NHSDirect and the
like are reasonably trustworthy (unless you're a tinfoil hatted loon,
that is.)

I agree there are some sites that are trustworthy.
However, take NHS direct, for example. It is so dumbed
down and simplified it's pretty much useless IMHO.

Sure, but that's nothing like your original that claimed that checking
whats on the net about medication you are considering is a bad idea.

PubMed isnt dumbed down at all, it's the original research
papers in peer reviewed professional journals etc.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...easing/4404334
turned up a very significant question for me because one of my meds
is clopidogrel and I do choose to make my own lime and lemon marmalade
and there is very reliable research evidence that shows that lime and
grapefruit does have a big effect on the uptake of clopidigrel in SOME
people and not others. That's important because if it isnt working my
stent will block up because it isnt.

I'd never have found out about that without the internet,
neither my cardiologist nor GP ever said anything about it.