Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Machine Guns

"Steve W." wrote in message ...

snip

Depends on the type of automatic action. If you're talking about an M-16
then you have it almost correct. If you leave the disconnecter out you
would get single shot. Reason being that the hammer would simply follow the
bolt and ride it.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk...ar-15-m16.html

The regulated part of the auto version is actually the auto-sear unit on
the right side in the lower animation.

--
Steve W.

That's what I was wondering about, it would seem to depend on how fast the
bolt gets out of the hammer's path, so you have the bolt going pretty fast,
the hammer going a bit faster as more bolt clears, then the bolt coming to a
sudden stop, that should cause the hammer to have an impact on the firing
pin but maybe not enough to fire. I haven't got the animation to load yet
(slow internet) but I thought it would be better if the hammer was held back
until the bolt was forward.

RogerN