Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Field Expedient: Kreg Jig Jig

On 2/20/2013 10:37 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

I didn't understand your suggestion at first. Then I looked at your
photos. The Kreg device I have is different; it has two drill guide
holes and no threaded holes in the back.

Oh - sorry Greg.

I'm curious about your setup. If you needed to do my project - two
pocket holes in each end of 1x2 material - could you do it with your
jig? It looks to me like the toggle clamp will only hold narrow stock
in one particular position, and that position is not over the two
closely-spaced pocket-hole drill guides. Or perhaps the toggle clamp
is not actually centered on the center of the blue plastic?

Yes, it is centered, but it will hold a lot more than you think. It exerts
well over 100lbs of force. It will easily hold stock much wider than yours.
The plunger does not have to be over the holes in order to hold the piece
firmly. The real Kreg plunger is larger diameter than the one I was able to
buy, but that is not a necessary thing. Mine holds the workpiece directly
to the face of the guide and that is all that you need. Remember - you're
using a drill with this, not a hammer.

It's not so much the clamping force I'm wondering about, but where a
narrow piece would fall on the jig when clamped. To put a finer point on
it, if you were to extend the toggle clamp until it actually touched the
Kreg piece, where would it touch? To my untutored eye, I would think it
would need to be on the center line between the closely-spaced guide
holes in order to do face-frame work.