Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Sorta on topic - Cowboy assault rifle?

On 2/20/2013 5:46 AM, Pete Keillor wrote:

Anything in particular to pay attention to?

Likes or dislikes.

I've got a Marlin 1895 in .450 Marlin, same action. Shoots well,
although I named it "Thumper" due to the light weight and hefty
recoil. But I helped a cousin with a 336 with possibly the worst
trigger pull I've ever seen. I could watch the hammer camming back as
I slowly squeezed the trigger due to the pronounced hook and depth of
engagement in the sear notch. I fixed it by drilling below the notch
for a steel pin, then epoxying it in place. Filed it back until he
liked the pull and it tested safe (couldn't knock it out of
engagement).

So check the trigger pull, might be fine, maybe not.

Pete Keillor

Thanks Pete. That's exactly on target.

And I had noted that both of these rifles have unsat triggers.
Not like a lawn mower full of bailing wire, but not all that smooth either.

I'm fairly well spoiled by my little Bersa .380 squirt gun.
It has the sweetest trigger of anything you've ever shot.
Try one if you get a chance.

I don't feel up to doing smith work like that on my own.
But I recently met a gunsmith who I thrust.

Thumper, huh?
I'll bet it does!