Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Sorta on topic - Cowboy assault rifle?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 05:46:52 -0600, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 23:20:18 -0600, Richard
wrote:

I'm looking for a traditional lever action .3030 saddle gun, but I
find I'm actually more impressed with the Marlin 336 compared to a
traditional Winchester 94.

It seemed like the working parts just fit together better - crisp and
clean action, and a stronger flat-top top frame.

And I like that the bolt can be removed easily for cleaning like a
breech loader...

I shoot open sights, so the ejection port and the scope mounts are
not all that important to me.
And no, I don't think I need the lever operated bayonet option.

Mostly I'd shoot 150 grain factory Winchester loads.

I wanted to ask if anyone else had any experience with either rifle.

Anything in particular to pay attention to?

Likes or dislikes.

I've got a Marlin 1895 in .450 Marlin, same action. Shoots well,
although I named it "Thumper" due to the light weight and hefty
recoil. But I helped a cousin with a 336 with possibly the worst
trigger pull I've ever seen. I could watch the hammer camming back as
I slowly squeezed the trigger due to the pronounced hook and depth of
engagement in the sear notch. I fixed it by drilling below the notch
for a steel pin, then epoxying it in place. Filed it back until he
liked the pull and it tested safe (couldn't knock it out of
engagement).

So check the trigger pull, might be fine, maybe not.

Pete Keillor

When was it made? Remington took over making the Marlins in 2010..and
its been an utter cluster**** of bad manufacturing and **** poor
repair since then. Id not..not..not buy a Marlin made after 2009.

Ive heard that they have finally cleaned up their manufacturing..but
it damned near put the Marlin line out of business for several years.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ing-the-drain/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...rley-davidson/

http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-93543.html

http://www.glockpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14564

"A good rule of thumb is to look for the JM stamp on the left side of
the barrel close to the receiver, a barrel address of North Haven,
Conn, and a serial number that starts with 91, 92, 93, etc. Marlin
would serial number their guns where the first two digits can be
subtracted from 2100 to give you the year of production. There have
been some reported issues with the "91" guns, 2009 production,
although it seems few and far between from what I've read. The North
Haven plant was still running in 2009, but Remington was in control at
this point. This was the last year for genuine North Haven Marlins
built by the old crew.

A Remlin will have REP stamped on the right side of the barrel, will
feature an Ilion, New York address on the barrel, and will have a
serial number beginning with MR. The Marlin board was getting so many
complaints about poor quality guns after the plant was shut down and
moved they had to open up a new rant forum.

There are pre-Remlin SBLs to be had, but you have to do some searching
and have a little patience. A good bet would be to post a WTB ad on
the Marlin Owners board or check out the classified very regularly.
Sellers on the big auction boards are usually pretty good to mention
if their gun is a "real JM" gun. It seems like the prices are going up
on them. While you have excellent tastes in lever guns, there ain't no
way I'd pay my hard earned money for a Remlin. Period. I know folks
have gotten good Remlins, but I wouldn't gamble with the possibility
of getting a typical piece of junk. "

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/

There are tons of pre Remlin Marlins out there as used guns. Check the
pawn shops, local news boards, consignment sales and gun shows.

Id forgotten about the "new" Marlins having such bad quality. All of
mine are pre 2000 guns. Shrug

They are..are getting better as you can see in the date range of the
rants on the above link.

Gunner

1. Lie