Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor[_2_] Pete Keillor[_2_] is offline

Default Sorta on topic - Cowboy assault rifle?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 23:20:18 -0600, Richard
wrote:

I'm looking for a traditional lever action .3030 saddle gun, but I
find I'm actually more impressed with the Marlin 336 compared to a
traditional Winchester 94.

It seemed like the working parts just fit together better - crisp and
clean action, and a stronger flat-top top frame.

And I like that the bolt can be removed easily for cleaning like a
breech loader...

I shoot open sights, so the ejection port and the scope mounts are
not all that important to me.
And no, I don't think I need the lever operated bayonet option.

Mostly I'd shoot 150 grain factory Winchester loads.

I wanted to ask if anyone else had any experience with either rifle.

Anything in particular to pay attention to?

Likes or dislikes.

I've got a Marlin 1895 in .450 Marlin, same action. Shoots well,
although I named it "Thumper" due to the light weight and hefty
recoil. But I helped a cousin with a 336 with possibly the worst
trigger pull I've ever seen. I could watch the hammer camming back as
I slowly squeezed the trigger due to the pronounced hook and depth of
engagement in the sear notch. I fixed it by drilling below the notch
for a steel pin, then epoxying it in place. Filed it back until he
liked the pull and it tested safe (couldn't knock it out of
engagement).

So check the trigger pull, might be fine, maybe not.

Pete Keillor