Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Sorta on topic - Cowboy assault rifle?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 23:20:18 -0600, Richard
wrote:

I'm looking for a traditional lever action .3030 saddle gun, but I
find I'm actually more impressed with the Marlin 336 compared to a
traditional Winchester 94.

It seemed like the working parts just fit together better - crisp and
clean action, and a stronger flat-top top frame.

And I like that the bolt can be removed easily for cleaning like a
breech loader...

I shoot open sights, so the ejection port and the scope mounts are
not all that important to me.
And no, I don't think I need the lever operated bayonet option.

Mostly I'd shoot 150 grain factory Winchester loads.

I wanted to ask if anyone else had any experience with either rifle.

Anything in particular to pay attention to?

Likes or dislikes.

You may find this of some interest.

http://www.30cal.com/text/3030faq.html

As you can see..I agree about the Marlins.

Its been floating around the net since the late 1990s and Ive gotten a
fair amount of good reviews on it over the years...

As for open signts...I STRONGLY recommend a set of Williams FP94 peep
sights for any lever gun.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Williams-Foo...-/160977904170

Or the 5D
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Williams-5D-...-/350713648424

Or the very very good Fire Sights

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marlin-FIRE-...-/111013972052

Btw...there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Marlin 1894 in 44
Magnum for a utility rifle.

It has nearly the same range as the 3030, ammo is actually cheaper, it
holds significantly more rounds (11) and has very good ballicstics.

44 Mag -125yrds
3030 = 150 yrds

The 1894 is also available in 357 Mag, which means you can also carry
38 Specials in it, though its no where near as potent over 100 yrds as
the 44 mag and the 3030.

Its for smaller game in heavy brush country.

I carry the 1894 in 44 mag quite a bit...the 3030 slightly less so as
the 44 mag is simply cheaper to shoot, even with handloads.

If you decide to go with the 3030..the best time to stock up on ammo
is right after deer season when prices (used to) drop to about $8-10
per 20 rds...if you dont hand load your own. (more on that if you are
interested)

1. Lie