Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default best material for rifle trigger

On 20 Feb 2013 03:19:06 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-02-19, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 20:47:36 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 20:38:18 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I'm "reverse engineering" a two part FN30 rifle trigger:

http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/trigger1.jpg
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/trigger2.jpg

What tool steel and temper would be best for this?

Id say 4140. Or O-1

Gunner

I'd worry about that little projection on the top piece, right where
it joins the main part of it.

There's going to be a lot of residual stress there when you quench it
in oil. Square shoulders with vastly different thicknesses are a real
problem.

However, I don't know what I'd use as an alternative. Going to A-1
might do it, but I don't know.

How about D-2 -- another air hardening steel?

Good Luck,
DoN.

Maybe. Custom knife makers use it for blades that take some bending
loads, so...

But it doesn't relate to normal tool-steel applications that I know
of. When you use an air-hardening steel in its intended application --
mostly press tooling -- it's for the same reason that I described: a
thin section extending from a thick section, as with lead-frame
punches and dies, and similar tools for punching other electrical
connectors, or any tool that's difficult to quench safely. Those tools
are loaded mostly in compression or straight tension, not in bending.

I'd ask a knife expert about his experience with D-2.

--
Ed Huntress