Posted to alt.home.repair

Default do washing machine hoses in original bag wear out?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 04:58:31 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Feb 18, 6:03*pm, nestork wrote:
I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

In fact, I don't even feel comfortable agreeing that the braided
stainless steel hoses would deteriorate in storage. *If these hoses have
been stored in a dry area at relatively constant temperature, I don't
see why they would deteriorate; even a little.

I know when you store chemicals, like pesticides and herbicides, the
most critical things are UV light, constant room temperature or lower
storage conditions and *moisture. *If you store a chemical out of the
Sunlight, at constant room temperature or lower temperatures, and under
dry conditions, it'll outlast it's "use before" date by an awful lot. *I
don't see why the same circumstances wouldn't apply to the plastic liner
inside your hoses (except that I can't see why those hose liners would
be affected by changes in humidity either).

--
nestork

I agree. They will degrade whether used or stored, but
they probably degrade an order of magnitude slower when
stored. But it should be as you say, out of sunlight, etc.

But if someone is worried about it, why worry? They are
cheap enough that they can buy new ones.

They're cheap enough and easy enough to replace that they can be
replaced whenever the unit is moved. I replace them if the washer
(whatever) has been sitting there for a couple of years. It's a PITA
if I get in there and *then* decide that it needs to be replaced.