Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Slow Close Toilet Seat Too Slow

DerbyDad03 writes:

I have a slow close toilet seat, wood with chrome hinges. When I first
installed it a couple of years ago, a gentle push started both the seat and
lid closing with the seat closing in about 7 seconds and the lid in about
10.

Now, that same push gets the seat closing as usual, but the lid stops. I
have to manually close the lid to about 45* before it will move on it's
own. Once it starts it takes over 3 minutes to close.

This is not a big deal now but it might be if the seat begins to exhibit
the same problem.

How do these slow closing hinges work and what would make just the lid part
slow down?

They close slowly due to friction.
I've only ever seen them with plastic hinges.
I wonder if yours really are chrome inside the hinge?

Cleaning the hinge is what I see manufacturers recommending.

Most of the slow closers that I've seen allow you to also pop the whole
seat off. Soak the whole thing in hot soapy water if you can.

I have a couple of them and I think they're great.

--
Dan Espen