Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Field Expedient: Kreg Jig Jig

Greg Guarino wrote:

That much would be pretty simple, even for a novice like me. But I'm
still thinking about how best to hold the Kreg guide in at different
heights. I'm also musing on the idea of having the jig attach to the
regular jaw rather than replace it.

Do it just the way Kreg does. I used #6 machine screws and threaded wing
nuts all the way up to the head. That gave me something to grip. I munged
the threads on the screws right at the base of the wing nut so it could not
loosen up, and for good measure put a drop of super glue in there. After
measuring what I needed for length to bottom out in the Kreg guide, I cut
them to length and since a #6 is just a whisker larger in diameter than the
hole in the jig, I ground the threads off the end of the screw so it would
fit cleanly into the hole and bottom out. That presses the guide against
the front of the jig and holds it firmly in place. So - you can raise it
and lower it just like the Kreg jig does.

If I had it to do again, I would use a bigger screw. You can get thumb
screws which are easier to rotate, but only in larger diameter screws. I
didn't realize at the time that I was going to have to machine down the end
of my screws to get them to fit into the Kreg guide. If I had know this,
I'd have gotten a larger screw with a thumb head and just machined down the
end of it. Oh well - live and learn.

--

-Mike-