Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Ebay funny of the day

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:10:52 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:44:18 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:48:43 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:20:23 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:01:48 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 08:56:19 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:40:48 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

http://www.monticello.org/site/jeffe...ment-quotation

A Jefferson quote or not..its still true.

I wondered about that myself, when I saw it in your email yesterday,
but I figured that since it was in email or on the Internet,

It _Must_ Be True.

The giveaway for many of these quips is that, as in this case, it
makes no sense. Jefferson said a lot of provocative things but they
generally made sense.

Think about it: If you never need it for self defense or for the
militia purpose, or any other purpose, other than to prevent it from
being taken away...why would you "need" it in the first place?

Somebody just fell in love with the play on words, and didn't think
about what it means.

Must have been a technical writer. Shrug.

You're dodging the point: the meaning of that quip, which is
self-referential, and could be a joke if it was dressed up.

The form would be something like, "I'd give my right hand to be
ambidextrous."

More likely a mindless gun nut, who jerks his knee at anything that
sounds like it supports his wishful thinking. That's one of the
chronic problems in the entire gun debate.

Perhaps a technical writer who used to like guns.

I still like guns. I just don't care for mindless gun nutz.

Did you ever make something with that Martini?

I have it barreled, and have the butt stock. Im still working on the
foreend. I was in something of a tither trying to find a small
centerfire cartridge that would work, but it was modified to the
point that it was most difficult to convert back to centerfire, so I
installed a Beyer stainless barrel that I swapped for. Im considering
fluting it because it is a bit..heavy. Id considered a carbon fiber
barrel..but the $$ was way out of my reach..and then I had that
medical issue....shrug.

Well, it's mostly a historical curiosity, since those Miniature Rifle
Clubs were started by Rudyard Kipling. It was their equivalent of
junior DCM, or something like that.

I hope you don't expect it to be a fine shooter. It isn't worth a lot
of work. Like all full-size Martinis, it has a very slow lock time and
it would be more work than it's worth to make a special titanium or
hollow firing pin. The trigger on those guns is creepy, and the lockup
at the rear end of that long bolt mitigates against shooting tight
groups. The smaller, target-shooting rimfire Martinis have a short
bolt and they were finely finished to get a fairly tight lockup at the
bolt face.

Indeed. I had a BSA that I shot until I got the Anshutz and have had
several others. Id have to check the records..shrug.

But it was a clever action, and one of historical importance.

It's been a while but I didn't think it was converted to rimfire. The
later ones were, (I think) using an offset barrel bushing. But most of
them were chambered for a small, pistol-sized centerfire made
especially for the job. The mid-sized Australian Martini Cadet was
made for still another cartridge, somewhat larger but still
sub-caliber for a military rifle.

Anyway, it's a collector's item that's good for conversation.

Id originally thought about 38-55 or even 32-20..but...converted to
rimfire left those out. 38-55 would have been way cool.

And I thank you again. When the ship comes in..and/or manufacturing
once again blooms in California, Ill finish it up and shoot it in my
Saturday morning small bore matches.

It will be a challenge, especially offhand. But you'll have the
coolest gun, anyway. g

Indeed. Its wrapped in a zip bag after being spritzed with Good Stuff
..

Remember Bob Richardson? (or was he on CompuServe?) I found a Martini
Model 12 for him, a high-end rimfire target gun. He used it in small
bore matches in California and he did great with it.

The guys at Navy Arms used to let me climb through their bins of
imported British Martinis. That's how I found your MRC action. It was
the only one out of hundreds. Hang on to it.

Oh..its not going anywhere. I never give up gifts from people I like.

Gunner

1. Lie