Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lead shot

On 20/02/13 00:33, Bill Wright wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:
Does anyone know of a supply of lead shot no more than, say, 3/32"
diameter pse?

Sounds a little odd, but I want to fill old "sparklets" type bulbs
with lead to make weights for driving clocks.

A fishing tackle shop was suggested, but when I called at one I was
told that lead is banned for angling, and their only "shot" was much
too big to fit into the hole in the bulb.

Solder would be a possibility, but a large proportion of it would be
tin.

TIA -

You can make your own easily enough, especially as the size isn't
critical. Drip molten lead into cold water. Not from a height as they
come out as disks. Wear every sort of protection.

Or from sufficient height that they are at least crusted before they hit
the water. Google 'shot tower'

A good source of lead is either roofing material or car tyre balancing
weights.

But for clock weights why not cast your own bobs?

make plaster moulds or clay (slightly tapered) cylindrical moulds with
an open top.

The lead can be sawn filed drilled and sanded easily enough to put a
suspension tag in the top once cast.

Bill

--
Ineptocracy