Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default dirt and tree question

DerbyDad03 writes:

On Feb 18, 6:30Â*pm, cj wrote:
I would like to built a small raised flowerbed (knee high) around the
base of a mature oak tree. My question is having the dirt in contact
with the tree bark going to harm the tree?

Thanks, CJ

See here...

http://www.forestryimages.org/images...12/1361174.jpg

The image shows a doughnut built around the tree.
A dry well in the middle with drainage under the filled part.

I think the dry well part will need frequent cleaning out and
tree roots will still grow up through the rocks into the soil.

Still little light under a tree and not a good idea.

--
Dan Espen