Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default Turning Punky wood

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 09:23:43 -0600, "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

Agreed on the CA... I use "water thin" to soak in and harden the
wood...

I always unscrew the lathe chuck and leave the piece mounted in it,
and take it outside..
Not only toxic fumes but I've also had some wood that generated
intense heat...

wrote:

On Friday, September 14, 2012 7:35:02 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:
I am trying to turn a silver maple bowl with punky areas . I tried
using thin CA glue but it does not seem to penetrate far enough to
help much. Have any of you found anything that works better?

Try a 1- or 2- lb cut of shellac. Soak the piece for a while, then let it
dry. Be aware that it will change shape, as it absorbs the liquid.

John Pierce
Maker of Fine Wood Chips and Sawdust

Or paint it liberally with thin CA glue. But be aware, IF there is any
moisture in the wood (and with punky wood there always is) you are going to
generate some serious fumes that will drive you out of the room, so do this
either in a VERY well ventilated room or outside.

With either the shellac or the CA, you will probably have to reapply after
you have have worked on it a bit.

The advantatge of the CA over the Shellac is drying time. While shellac
dries quickly on the surface, it will take a bit longer deeper down. CA
will be ready to go in a couple of minutes, or by the time the fumes clear.

Deb