Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Taylor[_2_] Bill Taylor[_2_] is offline

Default OT - of interest to senior members

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:35:30 +0000, Mark
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 20:39:09 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 14/02/2013 13:13, Nightjar wrote:
On 14/02/2013 11:40, David WE Roberts wrote:
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/31778

Petition against the removal of additional tax allowances for pensioners.

Vote early, vote often :-)

If you are canvassing for votes against the removal of additional tax
allowances, it might be a good idea to explain why you think that the
increase in personal allowances for those over 65 does not adequately
compensate for them.

Colin Bignell

I agree. I suppose some would argue that this doesn't maintain the
differential between pensioners and non-pensioners. But I'm not sure
exactly what the case for a differential is.

Indeed. Not being a pensioner I would think that it is working people
who would need a larger allowance as pensioners generally have lower
outgoings.

As a pensioner you'll have significantly less income as well. Even if
you are one of the lucky few who have contributed to a final salary
scheme for 40 years, the most you will get is 2/3 of your salary. Most
people will end up with much less than half the pay the were earning.
Not that I think there's much of a case for different tax allowances
just because your old.