Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default dirt and tree question

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 18:30:09 -0500, cj wrote:

I would like to built a small raised flowerbed (knee high) around the
base of a mature oak tree. My question is having the dirt in contact
with the tree bark going to harm the tree?

Thanks, CJ

Answer to opposite question: (Sorry) In 1956, after my father died,
some gardener told my mother there was too much dirt around our oak
tree BELOW the surface of the lawn. And she should pay him to dig a
doughnut around the tree, about 4 or 6 feet total diameter, 14 or 18"
deep. (I don't think I ever knew what was supposed to happen if she
didn't.) I was 9 and couldn't do the job, I guess (though it would
have been good for me to try.)

My mother had never heard of such a thing, and 50 years later, I don't
think I've everf seen another tree like that anywhere else, and she
was afraid she was being cheated.

But she did it. 50 years later, the hole is still there, but
smaller because the tree trunk is bigger and leaves must have follen
into the hole. and the oak tree is still doing great. It's in front
of all the windows on the second floor (two bedrooms) and taller than
the pitched roof iirc.

Of course it's an oak tree and theyr'e supposed to live a long time.

Was she cheated?

Here is a picture of the tree from above
Enter 41.019681,-80.341701 in google maps search
field at https://maps.google.com/

It's the 2nd house left of the house with the white roof and the
bright white driveway. It's the house with the big tree in the front
yard.

Wow, now the tree reaches almost to the sidewalk that parallels the
street. And its over the front half of the house. No street view
on this street.

http://www.homes.com/Home-Prices/ID-...EN-MOORE-BLVD/
http://www.trulia.com/homes/Pennsylv...astle-PA-16105