Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] recyclebinned@gmail.com is offline

Default lock re-keying kit

On Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:49:34 PM UTC-8, bob wrote:
My roomate lost a house key so I want to rekey all outside door locks (4 of

them). I went to home depot and found this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

(prime-line steel lockset re-keying kit for schlage 5-pin door locksets)

It comes with a bunch of pins and 3 pre-cut keys and cost only $13. Perfect,

I thought, until I noticed the "valleys" on the keys have very little height

variation. This means the lock would be easy to pick. I examined the other

sets and they were all similarly made. My existing house key has more height

variations.

The rekeying kit made by schlage cost $70 (!) and doesn't come with precut

keys. How do I get the keys?

Is there a rekeying kit with pre-cut keys, strong teeth pattern, and cost

less?

This is what you need to make your own “valleys”:

http://www.lockpicks.com/browseprodu...ning-File.HTML

The more keys that a lock opens with the easier it is to pick it.

I recommend that you return everything you bought,
get back your money and buy one of these:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...w=1366&bih=602