Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lock re-keying kit

As a self employed locksmith, I don't provide a lot of DIY information on
the lists. I apprenticed and trained to get the wisdom, and why give it away
for free?

Yes, it's more work to rekey locks that don't have a key to start with. But,
still much less expensive than buying new locks. I think Schlage messed up,
the newer designs are just terrible quality. The older ones were good.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"TomR" wrote in message

In case it helps, there is also an alt.locksmithing Usenet newsgroup, so you
may be able to get more information there. However, it is not a very active
group.

Also, I noticed at a Lowes store near me (in New Jersey) recently that they
had a sign saying they rekey locks for $5 each. You have to bring in the
lock and I think it mention 2 or 3 major brands that they do -- I think
Schlage, Kwikset, and maybe one more. I haven't tried it, but that's what
their sign said they do.

I have 3 modern-looking new Schlage locks that came with a house that I
recently bought for which I received no keys from the former owner (duh).
They are on doors on an inside foyer, so it is not a big deal right now but
I need to get keys for them. I asked while I was at a locksmith's store
recently and he said if I bring them in he would charge $15 each -- which he
said was more than normal but it's because I don't have keys to the locks,
which involves a little more work. I am mentioning that to give you an idea
of cost for rekeying by a locksmith, but also because maybe the rekeying
kits that one buys require an original key to be able to rekey the lock -- I
don't know.