Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default House insurance and burglar alarms

Nightjar wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Its just not possible for the crooks to know which DIY alarms
are being monitored by the owner of the DIY alarm....

They don't need to.

We'll see...

They only need to know that the chances of the Police responding to a DIY
alarm are virtually nil.

That is a lie with a DIY alarm monitored by the owner of the system.

And the burglar will discover that when they get told by the
owner of the DIY alarm that the owner is monitoring that he can
see them trying to break in and that the cops are on their way.

When I still had factories to protect, I used to get regular updates to
the criteria that had to be met for the Police to attend a burglar alarm.

Which missed the point utterly on what the cops are happy to do with
a DIY alarm that is monitored by the owner of the system who has just
told the cops that he can see someone breaking into their house.

1) The call had to come from a registered alarm monitoring centre.

That is a bare faced lie with a DIY alarm that is monitored
by the owner of the system who has just told the cops
that he can see someone breaking into their house.

And we know that because we know that the cops do respond
when someone rings them and tells them that they have noticed
that there is a burglar in the house they are calling from or that they
have just noticed someone breaking into a neighbours house etc.

That effectively meant it had to be a professionally installed and
maintained alarm.

See above.

In addition, my insurers required a 100 event log as part of the system.

See above.

2) There must not have been more than two false alarms at the premises in
the past 24 months.

See above.

3) The presence of an intruder must be independently verified.

Bull**** when the individual calling the cops has just said that he can see
that.

At the time, several years ago now, that condition could be met by using
dual technology sensors. However, when I last heard, there were serious
discussions going on about requiring the alarm monitoring centre to use
video surveillance to give the confirmation.

And there is no reason why you cant do video
surveillance for peanuts with a DIY alarm system.