Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen H Stephen H is offline

Default Garage socket & pattress question and 17th Edition wiring regs

On 16/02/2013 20:00, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/02/2013 19:20, Stephen H wrote:
On 16/02/2013 19:07, Lobster wrote:
On 15/02/2013 15:16, Stephen H wrote:

I am putting in a new 32A ring main that will just be for garage
internal sockets and external outside sockets.

Cor, I've just been doing a bit of that today and what a bloody horrible
job it was - courtesy of the fact that the temp was about 1 deg, and the
cable was therefore almost rock solid. Very hard to bend it where I
wanted it to go, wouldn't cut or tear easily, hard to stuff down the
conduit etc...

Note to self: in future, exterior wiring is a job for the summer!

Incidentally, I was working on this new ring main today.

I have used 2.5mm2 T&E for the ring main and to the garage sockets.

Some of the external sockets are in publically accessible or child
accessible areas, so I have run the 2.5mm2 ring main to 45amp double
pole isolator switches inside the garage. 4mm2 T&E ran from the 45amp
isolators to to each individual outside double gang socket.

(In reality a 20A plate switch and a single 2.5mm T&E would have been
adequate (i.e. in effect creating a switched unfused spur)).

I did actually sit down and think this through from a good design point
of view...

As stated, there is a 2.5mm2 ring main with a 32A RCBO.

I was not worried about L-E or N-E shorts as there is the 30mA RCD part
in the RCBO that takes care of that.

However, I had two scenarios to think about regarding my outside sockets.

I wanted to put a single external socket in the front porch.

So that meant a single 2.5mm2 spur T&E cable from the 32A ring main in
the garage to a single socket in the front porch via a bedroom.

Given that the max current available on the ring main would be 32A
before the consumer unit's 32A RCBO opens and that the maximum
in-service non-fault conditions continuous current would be 13A at the
porch socket, (limited by the 13A or less fuse in the plug of whatever
appliance plugged in)

I had thought about what could happen if there was a dead L-N short on
the single 2.5mm T&E cable running between the ring main and the single
gang socket.

Obviously this single 2.5mm cable is capable of taking a 13A current
continuously between the ring main and the single socket via the spur
cable, I felt uncomfortable with it potentially carrying up to 32A
before RCBO opens in case of a L-N short on the spur cable.

Thus, I put a 13A fused switched neon faceplate at the point where the
spur is connected to the ring main in the garage to protect the spur.

The other scenario was the double gang socket on the front driveway.

Now I could plug in two appliances. Lets say both draw up to 13A before
their individual plug fuses pops. Thats a total load of 26A which is on
a 32A rated 2.5mm ring main.

Now doing 26A continuously on a single 2.5mm2 spur cable between the
ring main and double socket I was not comfortable with, let alone a
potential up to 32A flowing in the case of a dead L-N short.

Switch isolators come rated as 20A or 45A. So 20A is less than 26A that
the double gang socket could be going up to. So I went to 45A rating for
the switch neon isolator.

So I put a 45A rated neon switch on the 2.5mm2 ring main and reasoned
that as current flows both ways round the ring, that 5.0mm2 is the same
as 2 x 2.5mm2. So I opted to run the spur cable as 4.0mm2 from the 45
amp isolator to the double gang socket. Now I am then comfortable with
up to 26A flowing continuously on this 4.0mm cable from isolator to
double gang socket.

I fully appreciate the above scenario is highly improbable and that I
have probably over-engineered my circuit but hopefully at least a sparky
can't find fault with my reasoning!

Stephen.

This has several benefits:

no one can steal electricity from the front
sockets can be turned off in garden if children are playing
if a fault develops in an outside socket, it makes fault locating down
to socket level easy
if I need garage power and a outside socket is playing up and tripping
the RCBO, I can throw the switch for that socket to Off and work in the
garage.

Good plan.