Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage socket & pattress question and 17th Edition wiring regs

In article ,
Stephen H writes:
Some of the external sockets are in publically accessible or child
accessible areas, so I have run the 2.5mm2 ring main to 45amp double
pole isolator switches inside the garage. 4mm2 T&E ran from the 45amp
isolators to to each individual outside double gang socket.

My outdoor socket circuit is a TT 20A radial (with a 10mA RCBO),
but I did almost the same. I used a cooker switch with integral
socket, positioned just inside the garage door. This gives me a
socket just inside the garage which is handy when using something
just outside the garage with the door open, and separately switched
(by the cooker switch, relabeled), are all the other outdoor
sockets, which I normally keep switched off except when I'm
expecting to use them (and when I forget to turn them back off
afterwards).

This has several benefits:

no one can steal electricity from the front
sockets can be turned off in garden if children are playing
if a fault develops in an outside socket, it makes fault locating down
to socket level easy
if I need garage power and a outside socket is playing up and tripping
the RCBO, I can throw the switch for that socket to Off and work in the
garage.

Exactly same reasoning here.

--
Andrew Gabriel