Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default Genset voltage reg: capacitor vs. AVR

"Robert" wrote in message
On Feb 17, 7:04 pm, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:
ulator would work far better.

Would it be better to regulate the peak, average or RMS voltage if
the
load draws non-sinusoidal current?...
jsw

If the output is non-sinusoidal alternating current, it would
depend on the use. If equipment is being used that uses
the entire waveform, such as a heater, the RMS would be
the choice. For a motor, I'm not sure, but I'd go with RMS
unless better info is found. If the device is electronic, which
uses a peak detector to form a DC for a power supply, the
peak would be reasonable....

I asked because I have several small generators that regulate voltage
poorly, typically they have to be set around 140V at no load to
maintain 105-110V at full load. Unless I'm running one large
insensitive load like the washing machine I pass the power through a
metered 20A Variac indoors and change its setting as I add or remove
loads.

The APC SmartUps I found at a flea market recently looks like it would
handle the variations automatically without modifying the generator.
They are too expensive new and not common enough used to be a general
solution.

Unfortunately I don't know how much overvoltage things will stand
without frying them. My house spiked up to 180VAC once from a
powerline problem and the lights buzzed loudly. I knew there was an
intermittent fault and was monitoring it. It turned out to be a
corroded splice in the neutral in the drop from the street. I needed
good evidence to convince the power company to replace the meter box
and weatherhead.