Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default lock re-keying kit

bob wrote:
My roomate lost a house key so I want to rekey all outside door locks
(4 of them). I went to home depot and found this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
(prime-line steel lockset re-keying kit for schlage 5-pin door
locksets)
It comes with a bunch of pins and 3 pre-cut keys and cost only $13.
Perfect, I thought, until I noticed the "valleys" on the keys have
very little height variation. This means the lock would be easy to
pick. I examined the other sets and they were all similarly made. My
existing house key has more height variations.

The rekeying kit made by schlage cost $70 (!) and doesn't come with
precut keys. How do I get the keys?

Is there a rekeying kit with pre-cut keys, strong teeth pattern, and
cost less?

Try this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRINKS-KWIKS...em1c2f89 acb3

Or, if you can find one, a re-pinning kit. It comes with about 500 pins of
varying lengths and other parts. With it you can easily re-key a lock. In
fact you can re-key a lock to take two DIFFERENT keys (say one for the
tenant and a master for the whole building).

I got mine via Ebay some time back. I think is was around $30.