Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default computer trojan destroys hard drives

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 13:04:06 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 00:48:33 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 16:09:39 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:17:23 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:48:43 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 12:20:55 -0500,
wrote:

Norton IS a virus!!!

So is McAfee
I just switched to Norton. I see no difference although Norton found 2
infections McAfee didn't in data I have had for years.

I got fed up with them all so switched everything to M$ Security
Essentials.

Yep. I make an icon on the desktop to manually run MS Malicious
software Removal Tool (MRT). I runs once a month automatically in the
background. If I suspect something I do a manual run, plus MSE. Two
different programs - both free.

That is great if all you want is a scanner for trojans but most
viruses do their dirt in real time.

Which is why he runs MSE, also.

Exactly. MSE runs in real time, set to scan every day and warns of
any threats from web pages. My ports are limited (closed) to only
those essential behind the ISP firewall. In IE9, I also use "InPrivate
Browsing".

More than a few times MSE has saved my wife's Vista choke machine
with a popup showing the threat before hand. She visits coupon sites
which seem to be full of nastiness.