Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_3_] bert[_3_] is offline

Default OT - of interest to senior members

In message , Another Dave
writes
On 15/02/2013 18:50, PeterC wrote:

Other factors affecting cost are things such as there being a contract for
the buses to run (so no real cost for passes) as on my route and how much if
the buses are cancelled and the drivers and ancillary staff are out of work.
Add in the extra medical costs due to lack of activity (although earlier
death might balance this) and pensioners spending in shops in the town and
the savings aren't that much.

I hadn't thought of it like that but, on reflection, you're probably right.

I hardly ever use mine; the buses seem to be full of youths going
to/coming back from a meeting with their probation officers

Another Dave

Pensioners on the whole after all pensions and benefits have been paid
make a net contribution of some £40bn per annum to the economy.
--
bert