Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Transition Zone Transition Zone is offline

Default Genset voltage reg: capacitor vs. AVR

On Feb 17, 9:32*am, "
wrote:
On Feb 16, 8:17*pm, "Pete S" wrote:

I don't understand your question.
If you mean "capacitors" when you say "caps", I don't *know how they would
deal with output voltage regulation in any meaningful way.
What kind, model and serial number *of genset do you have that currently has
no voltage regulation built in to it?

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

I think he's saying he has a cheap generator that uses
a cap for voltage regulation. *They apparently do that by using
a cap in conjuction with the power source for excitation.

But a better question might be
why would someone living in NYC, who has a critical need
to run CNC eqpt during a major power outage, be concerned
about spending $400 for decent voltage regulation? *You think
that would have been in the decision for the generator from
the start.

Many of the transformers and other circuitry in lower manhattan are
still being put back up. Most of that stuff was underwater (salt
water) south of 32nd street. I wonder if he's reparing generators.
I'd repair the diesel ones. There'd be more money in those, but stick
to repair manuals and their one eight hundred tech numbers.