Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Genset voltage reg: capacitor vs. AVR

wrote in message
On Feb 16, 8:17 pm, "Pete S" wrote:
I don't understand your question.
If you mean "capacitors" when you say "caps", I don't know how they would
deal with output voltage regulation in any meaningful way.
What kind, model and serial number of genset do you have that currently
has
no voltage regulation built in to it?

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

I think he's saying he has a cheap generator that uses
a cap for voltage regulation. They apparently do that by using
a cap in conjuction with the power source for excitation.

Except it's not so cheap. Which is why I was disappointed in the
regulation.
AVR IS available for the unit, they just chose to use caps..

But a better question might be
why would someone living in NYC, who has a critical need
to run CNC eqpt during a major power outage, be concerned
about spending $400 for decent voltage regulation? You think
that would have been in the decision for the generator from
the start.

I thought it did have AVR, and the point was, which you of course missed (in
your premature judgmental fervor), was *how much* better can AVR be expected
to improve things.... more of a general query as to how these things work.

And how could anyone forecast what regulation is required,
what the possible voltage swings might be, without knowing
what all the actual loads are, what their tolerance is, etc?

That's the mfr's job. I in fact DID measure these things, whose values I
gave in the OP.

What size is YOUR generator, what fuel is used, and how well regulated is
it?
And what do you do about the noise? Or do you just let your neighbors
suffer?? lol
--
EA