Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Genset voltage reg: capacitor vs. AVR

"Pete S" wrote in message
I don't understand your question.
If you mean "capacitors" when you say "caps", I don't know how they would
deal with output voltage regulation in any meaningful way.

Ditto. ergo my Q. I guess they must in some fashion, just like you balance
rpc's with caps.

What kind, model and serial number of genset do you have that currently
has no voltage regulation built in to it?

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/...sp?page=H04599
modified for tri-fuel.

It is regulated, just not to 1 or 2%, a swing of 230 to 250 V, from 50+ amps
down to zero amps.
If you at mid-load it's 240 V, that's +/-10V, which is not terrible, but
it's not 1% either.

Assume no electrical-type regulation at all. There is something between the
generator itself and the gas engine that ups fuel flow with load,
maintaining a semi-constant voltage. An AVR sharpens this up.

I don't quite understand how this works, and part of the intent of Q was to
shed some light on this.

I also figgered that if the feedback between generator and engine was good
enough, AVR wouldn't be needed.
So basically I"m curious about the design of these things.
--
EA

Pete Stanaitis