Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default When did builders start using OSB for floor joists?

On 2/17/2013 12:28 AM, SMS wrote:
We looked at some houses today and since some in the development are not
complete I walked in and looked at the construction quality.

I thought that floor joists were normally 2x6es or 2 x 8s, and was
amazed to see that they were using a piece of OSB sandwiched between
what looked like two 2x3s.

http://i46.tinypic.com/14uhopl.jpg. You can see that this "joist" is
inserted into Simpson joist hangers and it looks rather absurd to me.

Do you also thing say a typical truss bridge as used for a road or
railway is absurd?

You can't see it in that picture, but the sub-floor above the joists is
screwed down to the 2x3s, but about 3/4 of the screws missed the 2x3 and
went into nothing. It looked like they used liquid nails as well.

BTW, they are asking around $700K for these houses, which are right next
to a noisy freeway.