Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good gawd, Drivel was right, after all.

On 17/02/13 07:50, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

there are actually some even more interesting developments using hybrid
LiPoly batteries with carbon nano tubes to increase capacity

NOT to increase capacity. To decrease internal resistance. faster
charging, no more miles per charge.

3x the capacity, 10 minute charging time ... still in the research labs.

http://scitechdaily.com/new-lithium-ion-battery-design-uses-silicon-nanoparticles

If you chase the source down, it really isn't some super breakthrough,
its just about getting all that can be got out of lithium. I.e. instead
of approximately 30-40% of theoretical power and energy density from
cheap batteries made with various anodes, they can get nearer the real
theoretical limits. So maybe a factor of two on energy density and
several times higher on power density. Befoire you wrarp the battery in
a crashproof safety housing.

When I did the calculations of leccycars about 4-5 years ago, I realised
that the batteries I was able to source for models were about 3 times
heavier than the theory said the should be. However even a 3 times
lighter battery wasn't going to make cars with 600 mile ranges
practicable, or cheap.

This might in ten years mean you have a 150 mile car, instead of a 50
mile car, that costs £15,000, instead of £30,000 and actually does 200k
miles on one battery before its ****ed.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.