Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pickup truck tailgate theft

On 2013-02-16, wrote:

First I've heard of it. Sounds like a dumb idea, though.

I'm trying to recall the last p/u I even saw with a tailgate. At
least in CA. Everyone took 'em off and put those silly web belt
thingies on their truck. What was that all about? I assumed it was
cuz of some kinda perceived gas mileage improvement cuz most everyone
hadda commute some insane distance to work.

There was a rumor some years back that it increased mileage (it
doesn't). Some think the net looks cool (it doesn't). It was a big
thing in VT to leave it down. Dumb.

I'm now in CO and I guess it might be a problem, as everyone here has
their tailgate installed. OTOH, so rural, not much auto theft of any
kind. Probably not an issue, here.

I certainly don't see any pickups missing them anymore. I live in a
very large metro area, too.

"Pssst.... wanna buy a hot tailgate?" Sorry, I jes can't see it.

Color? I have seen some that don't match but they can be explained by
replacement parts from junk yards.