Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Meteor

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:56:28 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

"Ignoramus21620" wrote in
message ...
On 2013-02-16, Steve B wrote:
That was close. Tunguska was pretty bad, too. Funny how now the
two
events have both been in Russia.

I was thinking about this too, my explanation is that Russia has a
large area of territory, so it is more likely that a meteor would
hit
Russia, than Luxembourg or Denmark.

Canada has some very large circular features too:
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2006/1...ategory=travel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manicouagan_crater
The glaciers have wiped away the evidence of surface ejecta.

I've been to Manicouagan 4 times on winter camping trips. We spent
most of the time in the mountains that were thrown up on the west
shore of the lake -- the white area in the bottom of the photo.

There's a series of five dams between the lake and the St Lawrence. In
atlases that predate the dam closest to the lake (Manic 5), the lake
is horseshoe shaped rather than a complete ring.

A large sectioned and polished fragment of nickel-iron collected at
Manicouagan is on display in the Harvard natural history museum.

--
Ned Simmons