Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Meteor

Ignoramus329 wrote in
:

On 2013-02-16, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Long period meteors that don't release water vapor trails like comets
are hard to detect. We'd probably never notice one coming straight at
us since it doesn't appear to move over time.

Scary and true!

It might be scary if it were true, but it's complete nonsense.

There is no such thing as "one coming straight at us" if for no other reason than that we are
not sitting still. The direction from Earth to *anything* changes continually, because we're in
an orbit about 190 million miles wide around the Sun. Anything "coming straight at us" today
certainly won't be tomorrow, because the planet will have moved one and a half million
miles.